In this article, we take you on a walk through of some of the tools we provide on KidsEnglishCollegeTM that can help to teach English to preschoolers more effectively.
First off we’d like to say:
- All the tools we have on this site are free.
- You can access everything with no log in required.
- You can print and use the worksheets at home or in schools
Links to the various tools are grouped according to age groups. These are very rough estimates, so educators would need to make some judgement about which tools to use for each child.
For absolute beginners (children aged 1 to 2 years old):
- Images of articles with simple information: 3 words per letter: This tool is designed to allow educators to sit back on a couch with children and simply introduce new words. Each letter of the alphabet has 3 words. Each word has a related picture. All images used are photographs and not illustrations. Each word is followed by a single sentence concerning the word, to provide some context and memory anchor.
- Reading cards to teach children about numbers: 5 words per number: This tool is designed to introduce numbers and new words. Each number has 5 examples with 1 related picture for each example. With this tool, educators can teach the basic concept of numbers in the context of new words.
For children aged 2 to 4 years of age:
- Reading cards to teach children descriptive words/sports and games/festivals/scenes: These tools are a collection of words with each having a short description that puts the words in context, acting as memory anchors.
- Downloadable worksheets and electronic worksheets: This tool includes a large collection of worksheets and electronic worksheets designed to teach children new words and word recognition. The worksheets can be printed and completed like traditional worksheets. We would suggest for educators to try having children complete these worksheets on mobile devices (on a suitable free drawing app). Some purely electronic worksheets are included in the collection, these can be loaded on any mobile device.
For children older than 4 years of age:
The tools in this category were designed to teach children that are ready to start learning to read on their own.
- Reading Cards of words starting with each letter of the alphabet: 5-6 cards per letter: In this tool we provide a large collection of words with accompanying pictures. Interesting information is included for each reading card. An audio file is included on each page, with a recording of the passage that appears on the page. This tool is designed to reveal to children the world of knowledge that awaits them if they can gain mastery in reading, hopefully inspiring to attain reading mastery.
- Collection of random fun facts: This tool is exactly what it is called, a collection of random fun facts. The English used in this tool is more complex than the reading cards. Educators are encouraged to read these fun facts to children and inspire them to learn more independently.
- Basic Consonant + Vowel Combination Learning Table: 1-3 words per basic combination: This tool is basically our starter tool for teaching phonics to children. We have a whole collection of words starting with the various consonant + vowel combinations. Each reading card has it’s own picture. This tool is specifically designed to make rote learning of phonics a little less mundane.
- Downloadable worksheets and electronic worksheets: The design focus of worksheets for children in this age group is to get them thinking in sentences and to work on their handwriting mastery.
On KidsEnglishCollegeTM we also regularly publish articles related to teaching English to preschoolers – covering all aspects of the subject like phonics, vocabulary, grammar and immersive learning methods, just to name a few. So do spend some time looking around at everything we have to offer.
If anything comes to mind, please leave your thoughts in the comments section down below.
Brought to you by the KidsEnglishCollege™ Editorial Team.
....................More KidsEnglishCollege™ Articles